Its been a long three weeks of winter vacation for the older two girls and me. Yes, three weeks. That’s the Redwood City School District’s answer to the California budget crisis. The state gives the school less money, so the district tacks on an extra week to winter break which means one week less of pay for teachers. Awesome huh?
But I digress. This post isn’t about California state lawmakers failing our school children, it’s about playdates! And when it comes to entertaining my kids when they’re out of school and I’m off work I try to schedule as many playdates as possible. I was off two days this week, so both days I made it my mission to find other kids to come over. It’s a win win for everyone.
Here, in no particular order are the reasons why I actively recruit children to come over and trash our house:
- It’s one of the best ways to get my own kids to behave. All I have to do is to threaten to take away the playdate, and they transform from hell on wheels to perfect angelic children.
- Other kids can entertain my own kids much better than I can.
- My kids tend to follow the lead of their polite friends and say please and thank you without my incessant prompting.
- Major brownie points from other parents who can unload their kids at my house for a couple of hours.
- I actually like most of my kids’ friends. They’re sweet, funny, and tend to bring out the best in my own kids.
- I actually like most of my kids’ friends’ parents. They too are sweet, funny, and tend to bring out the best in me. Plus, most like a good cocktail, glass of wine, or beer as much as I do.
- I’m lazy and having kids come to my house means I don’t have to schlep my kids anywhere.
As much as I may like playdates for my kids, I am counting the minutes until we get back to school schedule. They’re driving me crazy, they’re driving each other crazy, and I’m quite certain I’m driving them crazy.